Category: Research and Development
Career Level: Mid-level (2-3 years of experience)
Employment Type: Contract-for 12 months
L-IFT (Low Income Financial Transformation) is a Netherlands based Research Company specialized in diaries research and human centric program design. L-IFT is partnering with New York University to conduct a research project on small enterprises using a diaries methodology.
The research is about understanding small firms, investigating their cash-flows, and finding out factors and impediments to their growth. In Nigeria, the study will be conducted in Lagos (Ikeja, Ikorodu, Epe, and Lagos Island), Kaduna (Kaduna North, Kaduna South & Kudenda) and Aba and/or Enugu.
For this project, we are looking for highly motivated, qualified, and capable professionals to fill the post of Field Supervisors. There is a total of 3 open positions, one in each of the following research areas: Lagos, Kaduna and Aba and/or Enugu.
The Field Supervisors are responsible for ensuring the quality of the data collection is of the highest standards in the assigned study area. The field supervisor will intensively supervise the field researchers and the overall process in detail. The work includes providing onsite technical support to field researchers; support in arranging participants for interview; ensuring data quality as well as compliance to ethical and survey protocols during interview and data management.
The Field Supervisor shall be directly supervised and work closely with the Field Manager and Project Manager.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Attend and contribute to training sessions organized by L-IFT
- Provide guidance and on the job training to field researchers
- Oversee interviews conducted in his/her research area and ensure the quality of data collected
- Monitoring of field and protocol implementation including providing instant and continuous feedback on different field matters including but not limited to the questionnaires necessary improvements to the survey instrument or protocols, issues raised or related to respondents or researchers
- Achieve superior command of interview instruments, methods and protocols of data collection, and questionnaires
- Coach and supervise intensively the intake phase to achieve the sample of participants for the research
- Conduct close supervision of field researchers to maintain data quality
- Coach and advise field researchers for improving their field work quality and verify meaning of data
- Travel to all field researchers on a regular basis to supervise field processes
- Conduct qualitative research in the form of case studies to substantiate research findings
- Ensure that research and cultural ethical matters, COVID-19 protocols are followed and maintained throughout the process of data collection
- Report to the field manager on a daily basis
- Facilitate review meeting among team members to address issues from the field
- Contribute to translations of research instruments into the local, spoken language(s) or verify the correctness and appropriateness of translations by external translators
The following are ideal features that are considered for recruitment.
Profile of an ideal candidate for field supervisor
- A bachelor’s degree in in the field of economics, statistics, sociology, anthropology, development studies, psychology, entrepreneurship or a related field
- Experience in qualitative field research and experience dealing with applicable local regulations and authorities
- Experience organizing or leading a project or programme
- Experience supervising people in a participatory, stimulating way while strictly monitoring the excellent results
- Good understanding of how small business functions in the country (ideally comes from small business owner’s family)
- Good Math skills, excel skills are an advantage
- Good writing skills in English, ability to write report precisely and analytically
- Good verbal skills: diplomatic and assertive
- Lagos : Good command of English and Pigin. Good command of Yoruba is a plus/ optional.
- Kaduna : Good command of English and Hausa. Good command of pigin is a plus/ optional.
- Enugu and/or Aba : Good command of English and Igbo. Good command of pigin is a plus/ optional.
- For all locations: we seek local residents who are thoroughly familiar with the culture, geography and small firms of the research area. Fluency in informal, spoken local main language as well as write and translate into commonly understood language.
- Some computer skills, good command of Microsoft Office suite and Dropbox/Google drive.
- Excellent command of technology and smartphones
- Continuous access (daily) to email, and social media platforms
- Characteristics: Natural leader; Good planner; Can report concisely, according to a format; Responsible; Motivated/committed; Energetic/enthusiastic; Fast/pro-active (takes initiative to solve problems); Good with people (listener); Reliable/conscientious; Technology oriented; Interest in research; Good communicator; Modest; Non-judgmental; Organized/disciplined; Adoptable (Adjust easily with unpredictable situations), Inquisitive and curious.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the Job Application form on our website: www.l-ift.com (which strictly requires applicants to write their motivation for applying and upload their CV). Deadline for application is on 28 March 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Click here to apply: Deadline 28 March 2021