Title: Communications Officer
Career Level: Mid-level (3-5 years of experience)
Employment Type: Permanent (Full time)
Salary: As per the organization’s scale
L-IFT is looking for a Communication Officer to develop online material, in written, visual and audio forms. We seek to complement our diverse team with a dedicated person that has excellent interpersonal skills and a passion for working on development research in a range of countries. The Communications Officer will be creating content on behalf of our organization: managing our external (and occasionally internal) communications, developing online (social media and webpage) material and responding to inquiries from the public and media.
Duty station: The new Communications Officer can be based in almost any country as long as she/he has sufficient working hours that overlap with East-Africa Time and Central European Time. The Communications Officer can access an office in case they are based in Addis Ababa and likely there will be an office in Nairobi soon. Most of L-IFT international team works from home from a wide range of locations. You will need to have the ability to work independently (concentrate without direct supervision, self-management) online (good internet) and have flexibility in working-hours.
- Collaborate with management and colleagues to further develop and implement dynamic and effective multi-channel communication.
- Develop, write, edit and distribute content, including blogs, videos, instagram visuals, and more elaborate reports as well as contribute ideas and approaches for our podcast series.
- Further develop our website and its content (and possibly layout/set-up)
- Develop communication messages for different target groups each in appropriate form and using relevant channels (we endeavor to reach different audiences, including our extensive field-teams in different countries with whom we keep in touch years after a project ends). Visual communication is for many target groups the most effective and each message is usually communicated simultaneously in text, graphs and photos/videos to cater for the different forms in which people absorb information.
- Work with other staff to support them to develop reports, (power point) presentations, brochures, statements, speeches and other materials that communicate the organization’s activities (write research blogs, pearls, rubies etc.)
- For videos, power points, as well as photo stories, different software and technologies are expected to be used, which the Communications Officer is expected to choose and learn to use through tutorials and web-based guidelines (or know already)
- Managing social media (this is likely shared with current staff): uploading information, ensuring there is always something to upload, seeking photos with it, managing the website: uploading new content, adding photo, alerting if new content is needed, Managing blogs: ensuring there is a weekly blog at least, contacting people about their writing obligations, actively suggest content for blogs, Managing Mailchimp: sending newsletters frequently, doing layout for it, feedback on content including checking on typo’s.
- In the future we expect more press contact and need to respond to public inquiries and arrange interviews
- Track web analytics and create reports detailing successes and failures of communications campaigns
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the brand and coordinate publicity events when necessary
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree, such as Communications, Media Relations, Business, Marketing, English, Journalism, Web design, videography or a related discipline.
- 3+ years’ relevant experience in a communication role
- Command of English: You should be (almost) a native speaker
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Required to have excellent computer skills particularly with software applications like Word and PowerPoint and ideally some (open-source?) graphic design software.
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with good problem solving and decision making skills.
- Characteristics: Natural leader; Fluent and appealing communicator, Good planner; Can write concisely and catchy; Technology savvy, Responsible; Motivated/committed; Energetic/enthusiastic; Fast/pro-active (takes initiative to solve problems); Good with people (listener); Reliable/conscientious; Interest in development and research; Modest; Non-judgmental; Organized/disciplined; Adaptable (Adjust easily with unpredictable situations); Can encourage other staff without being their supervisor.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the Job Application Form on our website: www.L-IFT.com (this is the only channel to apply and includes a section for a motivation letter and upload of CV). Deadline for application is on 14 June 2021. Applications will not be reviewed before the deadline (all in one batch).
Click here to apply