Position: Field Manager
Location: Suva-Nausori corridor (made up of 3 municipalities of Suva, Nasinu and Nausori) based
Category: Research and Development
Career Level: Mid-level (3-5 years of experience)
Employment Type: Contractual, for 15 months
Start date: end of March (Subject to final approval)
About the project
L-IFT (Low Income Financial Transformation) is a Netherlands based Research Company specialized in diaries research and human centric program design. L-IFT is partnering with New York University and the Australian National University to conduct two research projects, one on small enterprises using a diaries methodology and one on remittance senders and receivers. The research is about understanding small firms, investigating their cash-flows, and finding out factors and impediments to their growth, on the one hand, while understanding the financial flows of remittance senders (in Australia) and receivers is the other part of the project .
In Fiji, the study will be conducted in the Suva-Nausori corridor (made up of 3 municipalities of Suva, Nasinu, and Nausori), while in Australia we will work with a small respondent group spread across regional communities. The weekly interviews with respondents will be conducted by field researchers (2 in Fiji for the Small Firm Diaries and 1 in Fiji and 1 in Australia for the migrant/ remittances study).
For this project, we are looking for a highly motivated, qualified, and capable professional to fill the post of Field Manager. The position is based in Suva, where most of the work is, but with oversight of one of the enumerators in Australia.
The role of a Field Manager is to coordinate, manage, and monitor the implementation of the diaries repeat interview process for these 2 parts of the project. The role involves a range of activities from the planning of fieldwork activities, management of implementation of fieldwork activities, several rounds of training, continuously coordinating and supervising the field team, conducting quality control checks, translations and preparing reports for L-IFT management and the client. The Field Manager shall be directly supervised and work closely with the Project Manager.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Survey Instrument design feedback, piloting and translation;
- Delivery of Field Team Training Programme;
- Planning and management of project logistics;
- Field team supervision and coaching;
- Quality control management and data queries;
- Quality control visits;
- Troubleshoot field problems;
- Liaise with local authorities;
- Field reports
- Conduct direct interviews with two small firms throughout the project duration
Specific Job Responsibilities:
The Field manager shall be required to:
- Administer research tools – how to ask questions, how to check completed diaries/data entered by diarists to identify issues
- Manage data quality – protocols for data quality checks, administering back check tools
- Troubleshoot minor issues
The following are ideal features that are considered for recruitment.
Profile of an ideal candidate for field manager
- A Master’s degree in the field of economics, statistics, sociology, anthropology, development studies, psychology, or a related field
- Experience in qualitative and (or) quantitative field research
- Experience organizing or leading a project or programme
- Experience supervising people in a participatory, stimulating way while strictly monitoring the excellent results
- Good understanding of how small business functions in the country (ideally comes from small business owner’s family)
- Good Maths skills, excel skills are an advantage
- Good writing skills in English, ability to write report precisely and analytically
- Good verbal skills: diplomatic and assertive
- Good command of English and local languages.
- Some computer skills, good command of Microsoft Office suite and Dropbox / Google drive.
- Excellent command of technology and smartphones
- Continuous access (daily) to email, and social media platforms
- Characteristics: Natural leader; Good planner; Can report concisely according to a format; Responsible; Motivated/committed; Energetic/enthusiastic; Fast/pro-active (takes initiative to solve problems); Good with people (listener); Reliable/conscientious; Technology oriented; Interest in research; Good communicator; Modest; Non-judgmental; Organized/disciplined; Adaptable (Adjust easily with unpredictable situations).
- Should have soft skills like giving feedback to field researchers, motivating and managing teams
- Should have experience in project management – coordination with relevant project stakeholders
- Should have experience in quantitative and/or qualitative field research and experience dealing with applicable local regulations and authorities
- Should have experience in organizing or leading a project or program
- Experience doing spot checks and back checks in data collection. Shall be proficient in managing logistics, develop field plan, on-ground troubleshooting, etc.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the Job Application form on our website: www.l-ift.com (which strictly requires applicants to write their motivation for applying and upload their CV). Deadline for application is on 14 March 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Click here to apply