Position: Field Supervisor (FS) (2 positions)
Category: Research and Development
Career Level: Mid-level (3-4 years of experience)
Employment Type: Contract-for 14 months
Salary: As per the organization’s scale
Intensity: These are full-time positions, they cannot be combined with other work
L-IFT (Low Income Financial Transformation) is a Netherlands based Research Company specialized in diaries research and human centric program design. Careerpath is a Ugandan non-profit organization that works to ensure that people have passionate and fulfilling work. Our goal is to advance education that prepares people for successful careers. L-IFT and Careerpath Uganda are partnering with researchers from the Financial Access Initiative at New York University, to conduct a Randomized Controlled Trial research project on micro, women–owned businesses/women entrepreneurs. The study will use baseline, midline, and endline surveys to measure differences across groups. The first group will receive as intervention two-weekly interviews using the standard financial diaries methodology. The second group will also participate in the same financial diaries interviews and in addition these participants will also receive a printed report of their data and their financial situation will be discussed, and some areas of improvements may be pointed out. The third group will be the control group with no direct intervention. The research is about understanding if frequently asking women about aspects of their businesses and taking them through a report on that business highlighting areas of improvement results in improvements in business outcomes. In Uganda, the study will be conducted in the divisions of Kampala city.
For this project, we are looking for highly motivated, qualified, and capable professionals to fill the post of Field Supervisors (2 positions).
The Field Supervisors are responsible for ensuring that the quality of the data collection is of the highest standards in the assigned study area. The field supervisor will intensively supervise the field researchers and the overall process in detail. The work includes providing onsite technical support to field researchers; support in arranging participants for interviews; ensuring data quality as well as compliance to ethical and survey protocols during interview and data management.
The work of the field researcher that the field supervisor will be supervise includes conducting a census of women micro enterprises according to specific criteria and in specific assigned areas of Kampala, from which a sample of around 700 respondents will be decided, conducting baseline interviews on the basis of which the randomized allocation to the two intervention arms and the control group will take place, repeatedly interviewing up to 40 women entrepreneurs that are assigned to either of the two intervention arms. The respondents assigned to the interventions will be interviewed bi-weekly for an entire year (and half of them will also receive their report, get explanation of their report and be advised on some business aspects).
Reporting and Supervision: The Field Supervisor shall be directly supervised and work closely with the Project Manager.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Attend and contribute to training sessions organized by L-IFT and Careerpath
- Provide guidance and on the job training to field researchers
- Oversee interviews conducted in his/her assigned research area and ensure the quality of data collected
- Monitoring of field and protocol implementation including providing instant and continuous feedback on different field matters including but not limited to necessary improvements to the survey instruments or protocols, issues raised or related to respondents or researchers
- Achieve superior command of interview instruments, methods and protocols of data collection, and questionnaires
- Coach and supervise intensively the intake phase to achieve the sample of participants for the research
- Conduct close supervision of field researchers to maintain data quality
- Coach and advise field researchers for improving their field work quality and verify meaning of data
- Travel to all field researchers on a regular basis to supervise field processes
- Conduct qualitative research in the form of case studies to substantiate research findings
- Ensure that research and cultural ethical matters, COVID-19 protocols are followed and maintained throughout the process of data collection
- Report to the project manager on a daily basis
- Facilitate review meeting among team members to address issues from the field
- Contribute to translations of research instruments into the local, spoken language(s) or verify the correctness and appropriateness of translations by external translators
The following are ideal features that are considered for recruitment.
Profile of an ideal candidate for field supervisor
- A bachelor’s degree in in the field of economics, statistics, sociology, gender, IT, anthropology, development studies, psychology, entrepreneurship or a related field
- Experience in qualitative field research and experience dealing with applicable local regulations and authorities
- Experience organizing or leading a project or programme
- Experience supervising people in a participatory, stimulating way while strictly monitoring the excellent results
- Good understanding of how small business functions in the country (ideally comes from small business owner’s family)
- Good Math skills, excel skills are an advantage
- Good writing skills in English, ability to write report precisely and analytically
- Good verbal skills: diplomatic and assertive
- Good command of Luganda and English. Command of other local languages is required.
- Some computer skills, good command of Microsoft Office suite and Dropbox/Google drive.
- Excellent command of technology and smartphones
- Continuous access (daily) to email, and social media platforms
- Characteristics: Natural leader; Good planner; Can report concisely, according to a format; Responsible; Motivated/committed; Energetic/enthusiastic; Fast/pro-active (takes initiative to solve problems); Good with people (listener); Reliable/conscientious; Technology oriented; Interest in research; Good communicator; Modest; Non-judgmental; Organized/disciplined; Adoptable (Adjust easily with unpredictable situations), Inquisitive and curious.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the Job Application form on our website: www.l-ift.com (which strictly requires applicants to write their motivation for applying and upload their CV). Deadline for application is on Friday 22nd October 2021 at 5:00 pm. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Click here to apply