Category: Research and Development
Career Level: Mid- to Senior-level (5-10 years of experience)
Employment Type: Contract-for 16 months
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Microfinance Opportunities (MFO) is U.S.-based non-profit organization committed to understanding the economic realities of low-income and marginalized people. MFO is partnering with New York University and FSD Kenya to conduct a research project on small enterprises using a diaries methodology across a number of different countries, including Kenya. The research is about understanding small firms, investigating their cash-flows, and finding out factors and impediments to their growth. For more information, you can visit the study’s website: https://www.smallfirmdiaries.org/
The diaries methodology involves weekly interviews with the same firm over a period of 12 months. In Kenya, the study will be conducting weekly interviews with 123 firms across 3 different research sites including Nairobi.
For this project, we are looking for highly motivated, qualified, and capable professionals to fill the post of Kenya Project Manager. The position is based in Nairobi with frequent travels to 2 sites elsewhere in the country (locations to be confirmed).
The role of a Project Manager is to coordinate, manage, and monitor the implementation of the diaries repeat interview process for this project. The role involves a range of activities from the planning of fieldwork activities, management of implementation of fieldwork activities, several rounds of training, continuously coordinating and supervising field teams, conducting quality control checks, translations and preparing reports for MFO management and the client. The Field Manager will be part of an international team involved in the study and will work closely with and report to an International Project Manager, Daniela Ortega, and a Principal Investigator from FSD Kenya, Amrik Heyer. The field manager will also be expected to liaise closely with FSD Kenya, the in-country partner for the study.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Field team recruitment
- Sampling preparation
- Survey Instrument design feedback, piloting and translation;
- Delivery of Field Team Training Programme;
- Planning and management of project logistics;
- Field team supervision and coaching;
- Quality control management and data queries;
- Quality control visits;
- Troubleshoot field problems;
- Liaise with local authorities and relevant stakeholders;
o Field reports
o Case studies and vignettes based on data and field observations
o Contributions to blogs and other publications
The following are ideal features that are considered for recruitment.
Profile of an ideal candidate for project manager
- A Master’s degree in the field of economics, statistics, sociology, anthropology, development studies, psychology, or a related field
- Experience in qualitative and (or) quantitative field research in Kenya
- Experience managing quantitative data
- Experience organizing or leading a project or programme
- Experience supervising people in a participatory, stimulating way while strictly monitoring for excellent results
- Good understanding of how small firms function in Kenya
- Good Maths skills
- Good writing skills in English, ability to write reports precisely and analytically
- Good verbal skills: diplomatic and assertive
- Good command of Swahili and English.
- Some computer skills, good command of Microsoft Office suite and Dropbox / Google drive. Must be proficient in either Excel or Google Sheets
- Excellent command of technology and smartphones
- Continuous access (daily) to email, and social media platforms
- Characteristics: Natural leader; Good planner; Can report concisely according to a format; Responsible; Motivated/committed; Energetic/enthusiastic; Fast/pro-active (takes initiative to solve problems); Good with people (listener); Reliable/conscientious; Technology oriented; Interest in research; Good communicator; Modest; Non-judgmental; Organized/disciplined; Adaptable (Adjust easily with unpredictable situations)
How to Apply
To apply for this position please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the subject line SFD Kenya Project Manager.